By - chuckydoowho
Awesome collection. I think you should be okay, just don’t keep it under your pillow at night!
Good, good. But as a jock-strap insert, I should be fine right?
the answer is no because the level of gamma radiation is very, very low. If you are concern, punch a hole in the top to allow what little radon that forms to be diluted and not accumulate. This sample probably came from the Colorado Plateau, where 0.1% U3O8 was considered the minimum level of uranium in host rock that was acceptable. The feds once had 14 buy stations where private miners could sell their haul. All the good, hot stuff mined and sold to the feds, leaving the "junk" like your sample.
Canyonlands Nat'l Park is strewn about with so many crazy roads made from Uranium miners trying to make a buck. Of all the things I experienced that tidbit from the park ranger was probably the coolest
I’d honestly be more scared of the cinnabar, which is murcury sulfide. Uranium decays by alpha emission which can’t penetrate skin so you’re good unless you ingest dust. Make sure to wash your hands after handling either.
But it's the radon you should be worried about right? Don't know how much radon it would be from that sample though
It's the gamma radiation and radon you should be worried about.
I’d also be worried about the anthophyllite/actinolite- while they don’t look fibrous in their fibrous form they can be asbestiform!
Yeah no you should be fine as long as you ain't sleeping with it under ya pillow like one of the other guys here said. I'd imagine if you just follow the sameish protocol you would follow for a piece of Asbestos you should def be alright.
Yeah, uranium ore is pretty tame, I used to have a bucket of it that I gave away piece by piece. Even with 10 lbs of it in a bucket it would not make my Ludlum sing unless I turned it on the highest sensitivity and stuck it right in the bucket. Don't make a necklace or a belt buckle out of it and you should be fine.
10 lbs is 4.54 kg
Radiation is only dangerous in rocks usually if it's right up close to you for prolonged periods of time.
No but I would be careful about that cinnabar as it has mercury in it. As long as you keep it in a special place and wash your hands after handling it, you should be fine, though. Also, you should definitely put your tongue on that halite crystal.
I have nearly the same kit from the 80s. No uranium but has asbestos.
Watch that cinnabar, it’s pretty mean stuff too.
[I didn't realize the
When I was a kid I found it perfectly normal that we had radium and asbestos ore sitting around the house because my dad had collected it as samples at work. Other kids thought it was crazy. I miss my dad.
keep box closed, don't eat or inhale it
What’s the common rock on the bottom 2nd from the left?
I'm not actually seeing the uranium in it so I doubt it is very hazardous. If you had a few buckets of it and kept it down in the basement, you might have a decent reason to worry about radon when down in the basement, but that rock isn't much of a hazard, in my opinion. I've got richer U ore around here somewhere and I don't worry about it. I don't live with it next to me of course. I've had mine since the early 1980s if that has any value, which it really doesn't because it is sort of like someone saying "Ive smoked two packs of filter-free cigarettes for 50 years and it hasn't harmed me". That isn't how risk and hazards work.
I have this exact same set!!! So cool!!!
I had the exact same collection in the late 60s.
As long as you don't grind it up and eat it or put it around your neck to wear or sleep on it you/your dad should probably be fine.
Bothers me that there is a random "porphyry" rock in there lol
Everybody else got the cinnabar and the radioactive questions down pat, but uhh…try not to play with the actinolite either. Even though it’s not the fibrous habit that is an asbestiform, you still should err on the side of caution.
Don't touch it, don't breath dust from it, and wash your hands immediately after handling it if you do. Uranium is an alpha emitter which is stopped by skin, but will mess up your soft tissues if you get it inside your body. However, it's very low concentration of U-235. It should be fine. Put it in a clear plastic box and enjoy.
Personally, I'd be more concerned about the actinolite as it is an asbestiform mineral.
Dad still alive?
Curious if it would “glow” at all under black light?
Uh. That doesn't indicate radiation at all. There are non radioactive rocks that glow, and radioactive rocks usually don't... the effects are not related.
Just don't eat it. Then it would hurt you.
this. Natural uranium has mainly alpha emissions, put the sample under glass and zero problem - let the radon dissipate in the air is a good idea too. But contamination, aka eat accidentally a sample of your rock, will let the radiation punch in your guts without the protection of you skin - that's the main issue with uranium ore.
Don't enrich it, and you'll be fine.
The question is did your dad have any Cancer? If not you should be fine.
Unless you are crushing it into a powder and snorting it you should be fine...